Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bangkok burns

First off a quick post script for Koh Samui. Quite a lot of people holidaying on the island rent scooters and motorbikes to traverse the island. I have practically no experience of riding a motorbike but I was tempted to hire one. I am glad to say that in the end I didn't. While I was there I was made aware of at least three different accidents involving Thai cars and farang motorbikes. I got to see the aftermath of the worst of these incidents.
It happened around 7.00am and involved a jeep and a scooter. Somehow they collided and the jeep hit a pole. I'm not sure if it was a telegraph pole or if it was supporting electrical cables. The pole collapsed and plunged into a shop next to a 7-Eleven store. At the very same time a Thai woman, who was returning home from giving alms to the monks, called into the 7-Eleven. Apparently she was hit by the cables and subsequently electrocuted. To my knowledge she is still lying unconcious in hospital with very serious third degree burns.
As I have said, I got to see the aftermath of this horrific accident. The shop next to the 7-Eleven was totally burned to the ground and outside could still be found the charred remains of the jeep and the scooter. Yes, I'm glad I decided not to rent a motorbike.

It is my second night in Bangkok and to be honest I am suffering from burns myself. Not to the extent of that unfortunate woman on Koh Samui obviously; but nevertheless I am genuinely in pain. The full extent of my sunburn has only now become apparent. When naked, (not a pretty sight normally), I resemble one of those Tom & Jerry Nougat bars I used to love as a child. The contrast on my body being more pronounced though. From the waist down I am white as a bottle of milk. From the waist up I could pass for a lobster with my pulsating red soreness.
It is very painful for me turn over in the bed at night. It is excruciating to get either dressed or undressed. Today, making sure I was totally covered and protected from the sun, I ventured forth to get cream to soothe the pain. The heat of the sun through my clothes was unbearable on my skin and I had to scurry from the shade of one shopfront to another in order to reach my goal. The skin on my face is starting to peel, particularly around my lips and chin. On the crowded streets of Bangkok if someone bumps against me is makes me want to scream with the pain! I am expecting to wake up over the next few days and find sheets of my own skin left in the bed when I get up. People, hear me now! Don't ever drink all night and then go for a swim at a beautiful Thai beach. It's just not worth it.
I have resolved to stay indoors for the next few days, venturing forth only when it is dark. I need my skin to heal as soon as possible. To this end I have bought a copy of the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. It totals 1,100 pages and already I am engrossed in it and find it hard to put down.
My Thai visa runs out soon and I have decided to visit Cambodia. I am signing up to do voluntary work for four weeks while there. Over the next few days I will have to sort out paperwork - visa, accommodation and flights. I intend to spend some time in Phnom Penh first and then move onto Siem Reap where I am due to do the voluntary work.
Will keep you guys posted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh dear......You burn under an Irish sun and there you go showing off your belly to the Thai's. It must have been good beer.
I don't know if I feel more sorry for you or the Thai's.....